Summer skin trends we hope don’t go out of style.
We’re super happy to see that healthy skin has taken the spotlight over the last few fashion and beauty seasons. You’re sure to notice a common theme amid the list of trends we’d like to see continue on beyond this season. Are you with us?
For those who are used to carrying a constant supply of blotting papers and doing
whatever is needed to elicit a matte effect in their skin, the idea of dewy or down-right shiny skin as the latest beauty standard is hard to wrap one’s head around. Because after all, matte skin has been the look to aspire to for many years. What we like about this trend is that it displays the beauty of natural skin. When skin is healthy and youthful, it possesses a natural glow – hardly something we think should be hidden. Not only that, many face powders contain talc – not a happy skin ingredient as it is dulling and over-drying. Additionally, in the process of achieving matte skin, people are often tempted to use products that are not doing their skin any favours in an effort to be matte. So on that note, may the dewy-glow of gorgeous skin reign on!
TIP: Tata Harper’s Replenishing Nutrient Complex is a must to pull off this look.
The ‘I woke up like this’ look.
We’re not lazy – we swear! What we love about this trend is how it embodies effortless beauty that the French have perfected. The key aspects of this look are ‘no makeup’ and air dried tousled locks. 19 year old models can pull this off while simply breathing, but for the rest of us, there are some things that can help.
- A facial of course. Enough said.
- Lash and brow tint. Deepening the luster of your lashes and brows makes them appear more substantial – plus, you can give mascara and brow pencils a break on the weekends.
- Ilia Tinted Moistuirzer. Chemical-free SPF 20 in a lovely sheer formula that evens out the skin tone beautifully for the perfect no-makeup look.
- Tata Harper Lip and Cheek Tint. Our favourite shade is Very Sweet. Not only do these little pots give a pop of long-lasting colour for your cheeks and lips, they contain anti-aging ingredients like Spanish lavender which has a relaxing botox-like effect on the muscles and Lipoamino Acid Technology to promote a plump.
- Oribe Après Beach for dry hair and R+Co Rockaway for wet hair to create that effortless beachy wave.
Dry body brushing.
This is a practice we wrote about last year and it seems to be popping up in many a beauty editorial and celebrity regimen. Dry brushing is an easy step to fit into your morning routine before you hop into the shower. It smooths the skin and activates lymphatic drainage which enhances immunity. Here’s how to do it.
You can usually find a dry brush at a health food store, but we’ve also heard good things about this one.
Choosing body oil over of lotion.
For some people the idea of body oil is not appealing – understandably as slathering on olive oil could have you leave your mark everywhere in all the wrong ways. But when you use a lighter body oil, our experience has been that the skin is better hydrated for longer than with body lotion. In the summer, this means fewer ingrown hairs for waxers and smoother, softer, healthier skin overall. What’s not to like?
Bio Oil. We’re not crazy about the smell, but the light weight and softness imbued on our skin kept us using this all spring and summer.
Dr. Hauschka Rose Nurturing Body Oil. Because we love rose essential oil.
Tata Harper Revitalizing Body Oil. Antioxidant protection is provided with alfalfa extract while arnica reduces puffiness and inflammation – all amidst a beautiful blend of apricot kernel, grapeseed, olive and sunflower oils.
Nude and natural nails.
Again, we’re showing our bias here, but we’re loving that nude and natural nails are back. Don’t get us wrong, nail art and bright colours are fun, but there is something so modern about the subdued nail – not to mention that a buffed and bare nail requires extra attention be paid to shaping and cuticle care. The kind of details we’re enamored with.
Our faves for this look:
- Essie’s anti-aging Fill the Gap nail treatment to give your nails extra nourishment with nutra-keratin and bamboo extract along with a matte finish that helps fill in ridges and conceal imperfections.
- A clean finish with a buffing block.