The first task I set out for myself this week was to create a hidden category for my PUB 201 posts. Seeing as this website is actively being used for my business, I felt it would be helpful to keep this work invisible to my current clients and prospective website visitors.

I found a post on I’d Rather Be Writing that seemed to offer the simplest fix. It involved going into the Editor section of the site and inputting code that would exclude the PUB 201 category from showing up on my main feed. Now – to put it to the test. Stay tuned…

And, it didn’t work. It took me a while to find where I needed to insert the code, but unfortunately, finding it didn’t make any difference. Back to the drawing board…

In the mean time, I customized my sidebar widgets to include blog categories which I didn’t have before. This way, finding the PUB 201 entries will be easier if I ever manage to make the posts hidden from the main feed.

Update!

I was able to figure out how to exclude the PUB 201 category from my main feed thanks to the Posiel post that explained the steps to concealing a category ID in more detail. However, when I followed the instructions and clicked to edit the category in my theme, it did not reveal the numeric ID. A quick Google search gave me a WordPress forum that led me to this plugin that reveals the category ID numbers in themes that keep them hidden. With the number in hand, I was able to implement the correct CSS code and SUCCESS!